Our nation is experiencing young people in a whole new way. Youth are activating their power to effect change, passionately and poetically. They are picking up their pens and stepping up to microphones with spoken word poetry as their device. Teens With a Purpose has been at the forefront of this literary arts movement for youth for over a decade. This year we celebrate the eleventh year of the Hampton Roads Youth Poetry Season & Festival, also known as Slam Fest.
Slam Fest has become a much anticipated experience, a festival that blends competitive performance poetry written tradition with lyricism, positive music and stage acumen in a way that profoundly affects and entertains youth and audiences of all kinds. Here young poets fearlessly tell their stories, in their own words to be shared with their generation and the community at-large. They meet students from different cities and with different background who come together to share their mutual love for the art form – spoken word POETRY.
Students learn how to represent themselves, their experiences, and their ideas, powerfully. We know because we have worked with hundreds of youth through TWP’s school-based and community-based literary arts programs.
We encourage you to get your school, church or youth group involved. If you know any young person with an interest, a need and or demonstrated skills, please register them or your group to participate in our 2019 Poetry Festival. This year the festival’s launch takes place at I.C. Norcom High School on Saturday, March 23rd *includes writing and performing workshops.
The six finalists at the grand slam will receive prizes and qualify to represent all of Hampton Roads at regional and national youth poetry events.
2019 HAMPTON ROADS YOUTH POETRY COMPETITION SEASON AND FESTIVAL EVENTS:
- HEAR THIS FESTIVAL LAUNCH & PRELIMINARY SLAMC. NORCOM HIGH SCHOOL, PORTSMOUTH – SAT. MARCH 23RD, 12-5PM
- SEMI FINAL SLAM GOVERNOR’S SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS BLACK BOX THEATER, NORFOLK – FRI. APRIL 5TH, 5:30-8PM
- GRAND SLAM DOWNING-GROSS CULTURAL ARTS CENTER, NEWPORT NEWS – SAT. APRIL 13TH, 2PM- 5PM
- MIDDLE SCHOOL SLAM, ZEIDER’S DREAM AMERICAN THEATER, VIRGINIA BEACH – SUN. APRIL 28TH, 2019 1-4PM
Registration for full participation is open to all those 13 to 19 years of age
|Event Name||Venue||Date||Participant Fee*|
|HEAR THIS FESTIVAL LAUNCH|
FEATURES WORKSHOP, LUNCH & PRELIMINARY SLAM
|I.C. NORCOM HIGH SCHOOL||Saturday March 23rd 12-5pm||$12|
$10 Club Member
$20 Club Group (4ppl or more)
|SEMI FINAL SLAM||GSA BLACK BOX THEATER||Friday April 5th|
|GRAND SLAM FINALS||DOWNING-GROSS CULTURAL ARTS CENTER||Saturday April 13th|
|Must qualify to attend|
|HEAR THIS MIDDLE SCHOOL SLAM||ZEIDER’S DREAM AMERICAN THEATER||Sunday April 28th|
BEYOND THE SLAM Don’t limit the experience, there is still more! TWP invites Hampton Roads youth to join us at some of our other FREE upcoming programs:
- POETRY LAB Join us every Tuesday at the VCM Teen Center for writing, performance and recording lab. 5:30-7:30pm, 700 E Olney Road, Norfolk, VA
- YOUTH POET LAUREATE The Hampton Roads Youth Poet Laureate Program identifies youth writers and leaders who are committed to civic/community engagement, poetry & performance, leadership and education across Hampton Roads. Your work will be published in a national youth Poet Laureate anthology
- HEAR THIS! CLUBS Join us at one of our school based poetry clubs that fuses Spoken Word Poetry with visual art and music transforming the class room into a poetry studio. Here youth learn how to represent themselves, their experiences, and their ideas, powerfully. Students apply these tools to magnify the strength of their writing and their speaking. Clubs are currently held at Bayside 6th Grade Annex in Virginia Beach, Lakewood Academy for Discovery in Norfolk, Huntington Middle School in Newport News, I.C. Norcom High School and Booker T. Washington High School. Let us know if you are interested in starting a poetry club at your school or organization.