Teens With a Purpose originated in 1996. Our mission then was to provide HIV & STD prevention services to teens considered at risk for contracting HIV/AIDS. It began as a ministry funded through the faith initiative grants awarded to The Basilica Of St. Mary of The Immaculate Conception’s HIV/AIDS Ministry from 1996 – 2006 by Virginia Department of Health. The coordinator and originator for the youth ministry Teens With a Purpose was Deirdre A. Love, the founder and current Executive Director for TWP – The Youth Movement.
Over the next 10 years the ministry grew. The number of teens participating in our program from the community had exponential growth. In 2007 Teens With a Purpose became a community based organization. We incorporated in 2008 and currently operate as Teens With a Purpose (TWP) – The Youth Movement, a community based, Youth Development, not for profit organization independent of any church yet still serving all faith communities and all of greater Hampton Roads. We have created a community within our organization that supports youth so they can grow up into competent, healthy people and develop to their fullest potential.
Our mission has now expanded…
“To provide young people with a platform to empower their peers to use their voices, their energy, and their abilities to demonstrate the power to effect personal change, improve the lives of others, and foster a more knowledgeable community that is more invested in both themselves and each other using the arts and through peer-led programs and events. Emphasize education on and prevent of the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Provide a nonjudgmental, safe, environment for self expression for all young people.”
About TWP Documentary
[[There’s a video on this page]]
TWP Member meetings every Monday 6pm – 8pm
Vivian C. Mason Arts & Technology Center
700 E. Olney Road, Norfolk, VA 23504
Map and directions
TWP Member meetings every 3rd Wednesday of the month 6pm – 8pm
Downing Gross Cultural Arts Center
2410 Wickham Ave, Newport News, VA 23607
Map and directions
What Makes TWP Different?
- Our peer led, free programs are geared towards at risk and low income youth in Norfolk with expanding services to the surrounding cities.
We are the only youth led organization in Hampton Roads whose primary focus is youth empowerment and HIV preventions and Education. TWP is a MOVEMENT aimed at empowering youth and committed to impacting the incidence rate of HIV in the youth population of Hampton Roads and beyond.
- TWP programs are original and relevant. We are also trained facilitators currently or capably of utilizing evidence based education and prevention curriculums such as Community Promise; Choose Respect; Sistah; and D-Ups!
- We specialize in using the teens talents as their vehicle to educate and change.
- We specialize in creating an atmosphere for teens to express themselves in a non-judgmental, learning environment created by other teens.
- We had our beginnings as part of a church ministry that has grown into a grass roots community bases organization serving, faith based; institutes of learning; community, government, and private organizations alike.
- Our programs are free to the teens. We have not allowed the economy to change this basic philosophy. As a result we have stepped up our efforts to partner with organizations and individuals to fund our events. If funds are not available to assist, we have found generous partners and seek grants.
- We welcome creative ways for our partners to support our efforts such as in-kind services to help enable us to continue our mission. i.e. Offering the space for our free-of-charge community events.
- We bring our message to the community where the teens live. Our open mics and edu-tainment workshops are held mainly in schools, community centers and youth organizations so the teens won’t have to find a way to get to us. We go to them.
- We review our programs with a community advisory board and our youth advisory board has a huge influence on the direction of the organization.