Teens With a Purpose provides 20-week (October-April) literary arts partnership residencies to select Hampton Roads Public Schools.
Schools work closely with a TWP Teaching Artist to create inter- and intra-school programming in preparation for the school’s participation in SlamFest, the largest teen poetry slam in the Hampton Roads, and a final school-wide performance.
During these residencies, TWP Teaching Artists visit the school to perform original work, lead a master class, and/or critique student work, depending on the needs of the teacher. Teaching Artists show students different approaches to writing, often using pieces by acclaimed contemporary poets and lyricists as a starting point, and give students writing prompts to begin the work of crafting individual and group poems.
Education Partner schools send a team of four to ten poets to compete at SlamFest in Team competition. Most schools organize a field trip to attend one of the indy slams to show school -wide support for the team. Poetry club members not competing in the team SlamFest competition also have the opportunity to compete in ancillary TWP events, including solo/duo poetry open mics and workshops.
• TWP Teaching Artist instruction in class and/or after-school.
• Help in coordinating and recruiting for an after-school poetry club.
• Assistance in preparing for the SlamFest tournament, including instruction in both performance and poetry.
• Direct student mentorship from TWP Teaching Artists.
• Waived team registration fee for the SlamFest tournament.
• Networking and collaboration opportunities with two other schools in your region.
• Access to Chicago Writes, a unique literary curriculum.
Email email@example.com for more information.